Welcome

Welcome to my blog,I hope that you enjoy your visit.

Be sure to drop me a note and let me know that you stopped by and don't forget to comment on the posts that you like!


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Goodwill White Finger Starfish with Burlap

I have only been blogging for 2-3 months and I am amazed at just how fun it is and how much one can learn, There are some really talented gals out there!

One of the very first blogs that I linked up with was Gina over at The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday.
I saw the post by Tales from an OC Cottage on the "well Dressed Starfish" and fell in love. I could hardly wait to try my hand at making my own.

I already had the starfish, a couple of weeks ago, I found 2 huge bags of beautiful white finger starfish at Goodwill!
I already had the old vintage books, the perfect little gold frame that could be white washed but I did run out and purchase more burlap and a bag of charms.

I cut strips from the old book in the shape of the "arms" of the starfish,glued them on using super tacky glue and then applied my first coat of Mod Podge.While these were drying, I whitewashed the gold frame with Folk Art ivory white, acrylic paint.This dried in no time. I covered the cardboard back with burlap and glued it with the super tacky glue as well.When the starfish was nice in dry,about an hour,I picked out the perfect bling and tied it to the starfish with hemp cord. I left enough slack in the cord so that the charm would hang loosely and hit the center of the starfish.
 There ya have it!
I estimate that the entire project cost around 3 bucks and took maybe an hour and a half to make and a lot of this was drying time.

I am linking with




The DIY Show Off


 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Here On Crow Creek said...

That is beautiful! Great job!

Creations By Cindy said...

Nice outcome! Be blessed. Cindy

One Cheap B*tch said...

Wow - those are great! I really like how your's came out. AC Moore sells them by the piece but how great that you found a whole bag of them!

Jeanine

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Inspiring idea! Your blog looks great!!!!

One Life Many Journeys said...

Beautimus! Love the charm in the center and the burlap and....oh heck.....I just plain ole' love it!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Thanks for coming to my PAR-TAY...hope you had a good time:) Can't believe someone donated starfish...luv how you used them!

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

This is adorable!!! I'm now trying to think of other objects that look a little more lovely covered in old book pages...I have an old hymnal around my house somewhere...